Pages

Tuesday 11 September 2012

Other things that happened on September 11th


Today is a day synonymous with the worst attrocity on anyone in history ever (apart from maybe the holocaust) (and the Armenian Genocide) (and maybe the slavery thing) (and probably lots of other stuff upon reflection.) but the fact is that September 11th will always be known for the attacks on the world trade centre by a group of Afghan Iraqi Saudi and Egyptian terrorists, of course a plane went into the pentagon as well, but because there wasn't any shakey cam footage of that happening, it kind of gets forgotten.



Mohamed Mohammed Atta, who was neither Afghan or Iraqi.

All this kind of overshadowed all of the other things that have happened on other September 11th's. My first thought from this is that it is a good job that other historical events don't get jealous, or there would be a lot of events that fell on previous or subsequent september 11th's's. But then I had a second thought, and that was this: Just because an event can't speak or doesn't have a physical embodiment, it doesn't necassarily mean that it doesn't have feelings, it is for this reason that I am going to give some other things that happened on september 11th the airtime that they deserve.

What is interesting is that there have been a few other air crashes on september 11th, one in 1968 off the coast of Nice, in the south of France, and another in 1974 crashing near North Carolina in the US.

So having 3 planes crash on September 11th 2001, is nothing special really, planes have a historical knack of crashing on that date, so why should the world trade centre attacks be considered special?

Not only that but it wasn't even the first hijacking to occur on the 11th of September, the culmination of the Dawson Field hijacking by the PLO occured on september 11th, when 88 hostages were released. of course, the hijacking occured on september 6th but it wouldn't have made sense to mention that in a blog titled 'Other Things That Happened on Sept 11th' so pretend I never said it.




Another terrorist attack occured in New York when a group of Croatian nationals planted a bomb in Grand Central station in 1976, killing a rather unimpressive one people which I know isn't gramatically correct but I can't bring myself to say 'person' because it would make their efforts even less impressive, and they obviously made an effort. they popped a bomb in the station and everything.

So far I've only gone on about disasters, hijackings and terrorism, which is kind of what september 11th is all about, unfortunately.


In 1978, then president Jimmy Carter pushed through a bill making September 11th national Grandparents day, which is much nicer than having to remember a terrorist attack, if I had to choose between remembering my grandparents and the world trade centre attacks, I'd much rather remember my Grandparents... well the ones on my dads side anyway, the ones on my mums side were fucking horrible, I'd rather remember any number of things before them.



















Her voice had to be disguised on TV for political reasons.

See? I tried to make that one a nice one and even then a nice little reminisce about my grandparents descended into an obscure reference for IRA terrorism that anyone growing up in the 80s in Britain would recognise.

So trying to reclaim September 11th as a day when we remember nice things has been a total failure, which has left me rather disheartened, which is rediculous because at the start I don't think I was even trying to make september 11th more fluffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment