Pages

Monday 14 May 2012

Piss off 'linpiks,


The Olympics is good isn't it? It represents the ultimate playing field of mankind while allowing the world to unite.



There was Jesse Owens flying in the face of Hitlers belief in the master race and the refusal of the US to attend Moscow in 1980 in protest of the Afghanistan invasion. Who would have thought that 30 years later the US would have done exactly the same?! lolz and political in one little paragraph.



There have been times where politics has got in the way of the greatest sporting event on earth. (apart from maybe the World Cup) (and Wimbledon) (and the Monaco Grand Prix) (and the world series of poker) but why should politics spoil the Olympics this year? Particularly because big business has already destroyed it before it has started.

If the public want to go to the main stadium in Stratford, it has been built in a way which you will have to walk through the biggest shopping centre in Europe to get in there, which was purpous built to maximise profits. Add to this the fact that McDonnalds managed to tie up a lucrative deal to be the only food server in the Olympic village. Of course, the athletes housing does not have kitchen facilities, so pole vaulters, weight lifters, sprinters, swimmers and other people who do sports, have no choice but that of the value meal, which might be a big mac, quarterpounder with cheese, 6 chicken nuggets etc... don't get me wrong, I am not anti McDonnalds; there was one time where I woke up, went to maccy Dee's before 10:30am and I ordered 4 double Sausage and Egg McMuffins(tm), came home, ate them and went back to sleep for 3 days, then I woke up and did it again for about 6 weeks.



This doesn't indicate that big business is more important than the actual event, because I choose not to believe that. Even when the evidence mounts and it becomes clear that the majority of tickets that went out went to sponsors to give away as competition prizes or even just to schmooze executives, I would still not believe that the olympics is of secondary importance to generating business for multinationals.


So there is the business thing, Then there is the fact that the town I live in has become a kind of venue for the Olympics, the local park that I walk my dog in has pretty much been closed for the equestrian events, great, I'll take him up to blackheath instead, only when I get to blackheath, I can't walk him there either because that space has been closed so that surface to air missiles can be put in place.



Brilliant. I'll just take the dog back to the flat... only when I get back to the flat there is a fuck off gigantic aircraft carrier in the river by my flat with Helifuckingchoppers...



Awesome. The Olympics is so far simply showing me in idiot proof language that the military industrial complex is not only real, but it is doing its business less than 50 yards away from my flat. If the photo isn't enough, then here are some artist impressions of the boat and the psychological effect it is having on me.



Lovely.

So once it starts the roads close, the frankly archaic transport system melts down due to tourists, and I will probably be even more of a sourpuss than I am now. yay.

Saying that, I am looking forward to watching the tennis and the football on my Telly, because there was no fucking way I was going to get tickets, they were all given away to the sponsors.










and why should we be? we only live here.

No comments:

Post a Comment