Pages

Sunday 1 April 2012

April Foo' y'all.

Struggling to come up with anything to write about is the sort of thing that makes me think that I should stop blogging all together, afterall there is so much going on in the world today, there is very little excuse for me to not be inspired. As today is april fools day, I thought I would do some research and come up with the definitive April 1st resource database, to do this I need to open up with a little research.

1. typing in dates the numeric British way on Google does not reap results.

From typing in 1/4/12 on the google search I got the following information:

(1 / 4) / 12 = 0.0208333333

This is very good but it doesn't help me get to the crux of why April 1st is a day for pranking people to make them look stupid.

The evolution of the monkey on the typewriter picture.

The only thing one can do in this situation is to look further down the search results page, there will be any number of pages that will illuminate my knowledge about April first; of course, the next hit is no more interesting.

2. A longwinded anecdote about my religious awakening might give me enough time to research april fools day whilst keeping you both occupied.

On a seperate note, today is the last day that I can walk my dog in the local park because it is about to undergo work to make it an olympic site, which will render it unusable to locals for the next 4 months. Last time I was in this park, I was confronted by a man asking me for change. I didn't have any. He then handed me a leaflet and asked me if I believed in God, to which I replied I don't know. He told me that "the nature of God was love," and if I "ever felt love," then I had "felt God's presence." I took the leaflet and thanked the man for... erm... I'm not quite sure and I went about my way.

God is Glove. a very strange typing error indeed.


Further up the path my dog did a massive shit and at this point I realised I had no doggy poo bags. I had a choice to make, walk away from the poo pretending it was not my responsibility and risk a possible £50 fine, or fashion some kind of makeshift poop scoop out of something. At this point the clouds parted from the sky and a great green beam of light illuminated my hand, which was holding the religious pamphlet which the gentleman gave me. It was clear, God was telling me to pick up the shit with the pamphlet. The whole interaction between me and the missionary man was constructed by God to make me see that he was trying to help me...

Religious awakening, god helps you deal with shit in mysterious ways.


This actually ties in quite well with the next point:

3. typing in a date the Americanised way will invariably bring up lots of religious references.

oremus Bible Browser : Genesis 37:1-4,12-28

I won't link it to you because I am not going to preach to you in the same way that the man in the park did. but that is one of them.

Study Notes:Ephesians 1:4-12 is another.

Now neither of these give us much on April Fools day, the first gives us the story of Jacob, who moved to Canaan and ended up founding the 12 tribes of Israel, which I am sure makes him one of the most popular biblical characters to the Iranians, who quite famously do not get on with Israel.


April Fooooooooolz y'all!!


The Ephesians one is not so much a story as some one or other telling us that God has given mankind a destiny, which in itself sounds worryingly close to the final destination franchise's premise, that we are destined to die in a plane crash and if something happens which prevents that then we will die in elaborate accidents instead... I have heard enough already, I am off to do more research...

4. Googlemaps going 8-bit to work on old Nintendo consoles is a typical April fools day prank



Although I am still not sure what the point of April fools day is.

5. Actually mentioning the actual origins of April Fools Day after dancing around it for so long will probably be an anti-climax now.

6. But I'll do it anyway.

Precursors of April Fools' Day include the Roman festival of Hilaria, held March 25, and the Medieval Festival of Fools, held December 28, still a day on which pranks are played in Spanish-speaking countries.
Iranians play jokes on each other on the 13th day of the Persian new year (Norouz), which falls on April 1 or April 2. This day, celebrated as far back as 536 BC, is called Sizdah Bedar and is the oldest prank-tradition in the world still alive today; this fact has led many to believe that April Fools' Day has its origins in this tradition.

these origins have evolved to this kind of thing.

7. My initial plan was to come up with a ridiculous but believable story about the origin of the wheel.

It would have been brilliant, funny and believable, but I have tripped up so many times on the way to this point that I think I should quit while I am ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment