Pages

Sunday 29 April 2012

The Pro's and Cons of Europe


There seems to be a great deal of animosity towards Europe, with people feeling resentment that our laws are created by a centralized government thousands of miles away from our own parliament. Similarly, there seems to be a a similar amount of resentment from people up north for the same reason, although by the time you get to Newcastle these feelings of anger towards a power base 400 odd miles away are replaced by this...



Ironically, it is often the people angry about Europe who are not angry about programmes like Geordie Shore and "TOWIE;" an acronym I hate so much that I am can only look at if I italicize it and imprison it in ironic quotation marks so that it can't stand up straight or effectively interact with the rest of this paragraph. I would like to take the casts of "MIC" "TOWIE" "GS" and "JS" to develop an illness where they can't stand up straight and to be imprisonned by strange scare quotes, or perhaps instead of scare quotes they could be Islamist terrorists who behead them and send the footage to Al Jazeera, who in turn pass on the footage to the producers of Geordie Shore and The Only Way is Essex, to be used in the final episodes... who knows. It might even make me watch them.


I was not even trying to be hateful right there, it just happened, if I could stop myself disliking "structured reality"  as much, then I could probably develop an idea of where I stand on Europe and the Euro and the EU, important things that actually have an impact on my life.

Why should I stand for a centralized government making laws which should be irrelevant to me because it is so far away? Well, I do, and that is because I am so angry about some of the most popular TV shows in Britain being about people not speaking properly and passing around STD's that I feel that it is just that we become a subjugated nation.



Then we would actually have something to be angry about.

The fact is, my dislike of structured reality upsets me so much that I can't get emotional about things that matter, like government cuts, Sarkozy appealing to the far right in France or even the EU making decisions for us that we would be better off making, or even governments making decisions for us that they should not be entitled to make. These are all things that I should be angry about but instead I find myself disliking reality TV in a really narrow, concentrated and intense way. A way around this would probably be to ban these TV shows, but in all honesty, they are not hurting anyone, apart from the fact that they are distracting people from the real issues that govern our world. Thus I can't dislike europe, or even the tories.

This leaves us with two questions, should we abolish Europe? Just ban it, release it from its moorings and let it float off towards the South Pole where they can make lots of by-laws about eskimos and polar bears, if we were to abolish europe then we could probably declare war on the real enemy which is structured reality TV, and then once we have done that then we can re-instate Europe, so we would still have something to be angry about. Then we could ban europe again and then reinstate it.



Just so that a british football team can beat a European team, before abolishing Europe again.

The other question is should we abolish reality TV, kill everyone to do with it, guillotine TV producers and participants, so that we can abolish Europe, and then re-instate reality TV just so we have something to hate, then banning them again and killing everyone involved in the second wave of reality TV, and then reinstating it again etc...

I am, however, spotting a problem with banning reality TV; it would cause us to head into an uncontrollable cycle of both abolishing and reinstating europe, which would be costly and probably leave good salt of the earth British folk neurotic from all the abolishing and re-instating. Plus who would the youth of today aspire to be like of not for the cast of "TOWIE"

For this reason, it is best to ban both Europe and reality TV permanantly and then finding something else to eradicate, then find something else to hate, like ginger people or Lithuanians, until everything is gone. You can't say fairer than that.


No comments:

Post a Comment