Pages

Wednesday 30 December 2009

Manmachine201 on why Iran is no laughing matter

I was on the tail end of a nightshift the other day when in between trains, I was suddenly caught short and needed a shit. The seven cups of coffee I had during the night had turned on me, once upon a time they were my friend and appeared to support me through a troubling time suddenly and suddenly, they turned on me... and I thought to myself, "This is a lot like the situation in Iran at the moment". After all The Coffee was the Iranian people who initially supported the revolution in Iran but have recently turned on the Government.

I didn't really have have time to process my thoughts because I needed a shit so badly, so between Tower Hill and Tower Gateway stations was the conveniently placed Tower of London. A place of great interest as it is a building with a history as violent as it is rich.



The Tower itself was a palace, a prison and scene to some of the bloodiest trials and executions in English history, as well as a home to the ravens to which the legend was born that if they ever flew away, the tower would fall down. (They combated this by clipping their wings, ensuring that the tower will not fall down.)

But I digress as I didn't have time to process my thoughts needing to poo so much, I found a public toilet in the area. When I found the nearest conveniences I walked in hurridly and planted my arse in the bowl... at this point an alarm started going off warning that there was a fire in the building and it needed to be evacuated. I shat a watery brown poo as one would after too much coffee. I wanted to wipe myself but noticed that the toilet paper was on fire. Again, I thought "this is a lot like the situation in Iran at the moment". The Iranian Government was wiped its arse on the people for years only for the people to rise up in figurative flames at a time when they needed them most to support them in their struggle against the west. I almost felt sympathetic to the clerics who rule Iran with an iron fist.



all burnt out.

Having joined Twitter recently I wasn't quite sure I understood what all the fuss was about. Just a lot of people jabbering on about their lives in 140 characters of less... Things like 'Jst tk a sht bt ppr on fire' are commonplace in the microblogosphere. But recently I found that many of the Iranian protesters are using Twitter as a form of propaganda tool in the same way the Cuban Revolutionaries of the 50s used shortwave radio. Suddenly I was interested.

Then I found Russell Brand tweeting about his penis, which watered down my interest somewhat.



His Dinkle.

However, you can't be put off by the discusting thing on a website, or you'd never use the internet again... So onwards and upwards. I found out that twitter is good as long as you follow people who have something important to say. The dissenting voices, not Steven Fry who says "isn't @jimmyjimjimmyjimjimjim01 delightful?" which I'm sure he is.

So while examining Russell Brands Genital warts, via the internet, I thought his situation reminds me a lot of the situation in Iran, where the Clerical government trys to make a stand against external influence whilst being attacked from the inside itself.

So, in my experience, being caught short needing a shit, then finding that toilet paper is on fire and also on a seperate note Genital conditions are no laughing matter, then neither is the situation in Iran.

I won't bore you with the human rights abuses, the fact that The current Iranian dictatorship is a huge threat to us in terms of state funded terrorism, the threat of the bomb, etc etc... lets give the democratic movement some moral support.



Support democracy in Iran.

http://twitter.com/SaloumehZ

http://twitter.com/iran88

http://twitter.com/iamiranorg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Movement

3 comments:

  1. laughed out loud ... You caught me off guard with the fire paper! great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's almost all true. apart from the fire on the bog roll. coffee plays havoc with my guts

    ReplyDelete