Pages

Tuesday 7 June 2011

101 posts.

Yup, forgot to do the big fanfare about 100 posts, I wasn't really keeping count but there was a counter thingy on my dashboard that was, and thats the only reason I know, so fireworks, party poppers and prawns. Its exactly like an Iceland advert.



That's where mum has gone, in case social services ask.

The problem I have is that I planned to do a self indulgent piece of writing about something very close to my heart, something very specific that probably neither of you would have been that interested in (depending on whether the other one still reads this.) but I've got about 150 words in and I'm not sure whether to jump into the piece of writing I was originally planning or just carry on whittering.

The fact is, aniversaries are only special to people because they are confined to the world they live in, therefore they are only special in a narrow sense of the word. For example, if we lived on the planet Mercury an aniversary would occur every 87 days. That would be evert 2 months we would be expected to dress up, take our partners, who we no doubt resent because we have been with them for 147 years, to a nice restaraunt, shower them with gifts and write out pointless messages on a card which will no doubt be throw in a bin the following day. which would be a really long time because on Mercury there are 1 and a half days in a year.



Amazingly after going on a bizarre rant about how days last longer than years on Mercury, I followed it up with a picture of a dog in a kind of army uniform with lots of medals, why I did this I don't know but it creates a huge statement of intent. This Blog is going to win medals, the blog I intended to start is going to have to stand aside whilst this one develops on its own.

So there is the logistical problem of days lasting longer than years, how long would this make the average work shift on Mercury? roughly 80 Earth days. That is a long time to be flipping burgers, asking if they want fries with that, even if you had a good job it would be a long time, a minor flip side of this is that your lunch hour would last a month, which is roughly a years holiday allowance in most jobs. Every cloud and all that.



But then even the most basic idioms like "Every cloud has a silver lining" wouldn't be true if we lived on mercury. Being as there is very little atmosphere on mercury, we wouldn't even have clouds, not even ones with silver linings. So no clouds would probably be a positive in a world where a working day lasts 1.5 years, no rain, the weather is good. well, no, because there would be no weather on account of there being no atmosphere.



Maybe thats a good thing.

So days that last more than a year, no weather on account of there being no oxygen and having an irrational orbit of the sun (which I didn't mention on account of not quite understanding what relevance it would have in the effect of anniversaries.)

So yes, I don't get the significance of Anniversaries. I don't get centeneries or Jubilee's or any other kind of versary I have gladly taken this opportunity on this most momentous of blog posts to reject forever more, birthdays, christmases and all those other things that are routed to the same spot every year, because if we were on another planet with a different orbit pattern it wouldn't even be noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment