Pages

Monday 13 June 2011

Picking your Battles.

When I see the picture of the student in front of the tank in front of Tiananmen Square, it splits me in a similar way the Manhattan Project split the atom.



Part of me thinks, fair play, its a surefire way to get your point across and it is an incredibly brave thing to do. There is another part of me that looks at that image and thinks "You silly sausage, this is a battle that you are statistically likely to lose." But he probably knew that anyway.

Picking your battles is a key skill in life. A healthy balance between self belief and picking your battles will be a huge factor in anyones success, and I would know this because I am the most successful person I know.



Success.

Of course, people have different ideas about what constitutes success, some might say that money is the measure of success, others believe that success is gaged in terms of happiness and productivity. Personally I believe that the amount of female joggers you scare on any given day as a result of jumping out from behind a bush and showing them your genitalia, is the gage of a mans success... As I said, the most successful person I know.



Of course I don't really do this, I came very close to creating a bizarre story about how flashing at a female jogger inadvertedly saved the world with some precarious set of events which were so unbelievable that they might actually be true, but doing so would just make me sound more like a sexual pervert when in actual fact the showing my genitals to female joggers would simply generate laughter this crushing my already fragile ego, and not only that, its weird. I only bring up the concept of flashing to illustrate that this scenario is the theoretical limit of people like this...



This child was so completely outraged by the rules regarding boys uniform not including shorts in the summer weather, that he exploited a loophole in the rules regarding uniforms and began wearing skirts to school in protest. Again, this situation splits me like a monkey splits the skin of a banana.

Part of me thinks, fair play, its a surefire way to get your point across and it is an incredibly brave thing to do. There is another part of me that looks at that image and thinks "Silly little sausage, you're probably going to get picked on by the tougher kids in the school who are mistake your inventive method of protest for homosexuality and spit on you."



Picking your battles alongside self belief is a... meh, I'm not going to do the repetition thingy I was planning on doing, I'm just going to look at the next specemin.



Patrick Doherty, 15, was due to sit the exam again after he failed it last summer having taken it a year early. He refused to take his shoes off because of fears his feet would smell and now faces a year at home before he can re-sit the exam again.

Part of me thinks, fair play, its a surefire way to get your point across and it is an incredibly brave thing to do. There is another part of me that looks at that image and thinks, you stupid bugger, the only person who is going to suffer due to your refusal to toe the line is you.



Here is the final example I shall give of people picking their battles, the christian child Lauren Grimshaw-Brown, was sent home from school because she refused to take off a crucifix which was part of her religion. Laurens Mother Miss Brown, claimed that the school were discriminating against Christians even though they were a Christian school (?)

Part of me thinks, fair play, its a surefire way to get your point across and it is an incredibly brave thing to do. There is another part of me that thinks you silly bitch, perhaps a more apt way of declaring your faith would be to adhere to its rules on having children within wedlock. Instead you adopt victim mentality to subtly imply positive discrimination giving racists ammunition who use this as an example, when in fact all your child is asked is to remove a piece of jewelery, which would probably get torn off when your chav child gets in a fight with Tracy Smith in class 5b over which one is going to get impregnated by Justin Bieber.

Now there is a word for people like this in China, and that word is Dissidents. And the Chinese Government has a very methodical approach to dealing with people like this.



The sign the girl is wearing translates I'm a complete and utter twat.

I'm all for human rights, its a good thing that humans have rights, and they should have the right to protest if they feel they are being treated unfairly.
But at what point does protesting against injustice become simply moaning and kicking up a stink purely for the sake of it? I would say all three of those examples are people who should be sent to special purpous built re-education centres, where they undergo psychological treatment to make them less troublesome.



Perhaps then they will learn the balance between self belief and Picking their battles.

No comments:

Post a Comment